Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 20:14:15 -0800
From:      Jeff Lasman <jblists@nobaloney.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   using jail in a shell-account environment

We've found a lot of our clients and prospects who would like
shell-accounts.  A quick search of many search engines shows that almost
no-one who offered them does anymore, presumably for good reasons.

I've done only a bit of research; while I've used BSDi for a while, I've
never used a free BSD operating system.

I'm now considering freeBSD for this application, because of it's "jail"
capability.

So my questions are simply:

Will jail do anything for me at all in a box dedicated to shell accounts
only?

What services should I definitely delete in a shell-account box?

Are one of the other "free" BSDs a better solution for this application?

Should I just drop the whole idea and go drink a warm cup of Dr. Pepper
<smile>?

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman <jblists@nobaloney.net>