Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 18:33:47 -0600
From:      Joe Halpin <joe.halpin@attbi.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD install doesn't see the whole disk

Joe Halpin wrote:

> I just put a new 30GB drive in my test machine (Maxtor IDE). When I
> tried to install, fdisk didn't get the drive size right. So I used the
> 'G' option and set the drive geometry manually. The summary at the top
> of the screen looked correct after that, but the 'C' create option
> apparently didn't get updated, and wouldn't let me create more than a
> 2GB partition.

A little more detail:

Both Windows and Linux installation programs recognised the disk size
correctly. The BIOS likewise gives the correct size and says it's in LBA
mode (which it is).

I had RedHat 7.1 installed on the disk previously. I first booted from a
4.5RC2 iso image I had successfully used before. Then I tried creating a
DOS partition and installing DOS first, then tried the 4.5RC2 CD again.
No go.

Then I downloaded new boot floppy images from ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/
but they had the same problem.

Joe