Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:26:59 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        AQUAMAN <yoatl@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: filesystems compatibility

AQUAMAN wrote:
> I want to install at home debian, mandrake, redhat and
> freebsd, and a partition /home. The four operating
> systems can modify the last one, so that I don't have
> to install a /home partition for each one of them.
>
> I know that I have to install a filesystem that is
> compatible with them.
> Could you suggest me the appropriate one?

You probably wanted to ask this in questions.

--

It's really hard to answer these kinds of questions exhaustively,
since Linux has the bad habit of changing things about the on

The limiting factor is going to be the FS's the are read/write
that all the Linux distributions have in common, and that are
also supported by FreeBSD.

I think the only one in common for all three Linux distributions,
that doesn't have local hacks, with be EXT2FS.  FreeBSD can read
and write EXT2FS, as long as you aren't using local hacks (last
time I checked this, a long time ago, I admit, FreeBSD did not
support the RedHat hack for sparse superblocks, and neither did
Debian).

-- Terry