Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 23:35:57 -0400
From:      Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net>
To:        Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mark asks: How should I partition/slice for appliance?

By now, Jan, you have my off list response.

(On list) here's what happened, everyone:

The install blew up just like it did two years ago. The difference this
time is, I know why.

I planned this:

  /
  :.. tmp@   // link = /usr/tmp/
  :.. var@   // link = /usr/var/

  usr/
  :.. tmp
  :.. var

The installer doesn't give me the option, and simply does this, instead:

  /
  :.. tmp/
  :.. var/

  usr/

So the root runs out of space and what the installer does then is ugly.

THIS SHOULD BE FIXED. I can't believe the installer is as stooopid as it
was two years ago.

I have a lot of other feedback about the installer (some good, most bad).
I guess I will have to subscribe to the appropriate bsd list (can't recall
it at the moment... reminder, anyone?)

Ciao -- Mark

--
See my resume: http://home.earthlink.net/~filipak/resume/