Date:      Tue, 07 May 2002 11:05:38 +0200
From:      Andy Sporner <sporner@nentec.de>
To:        Tore Lund <tl001@online.no>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: You've Been Added!

Tore Lund wrote:

>>Better Idea,  how about changing MajorDomo to accept mail only from people
>>registered on the list.  OK. This would inconvience some people.  But in
>>addition
>>to this, as most people are, I am also getting tired of the sex
>>advertisements.
>>

>The reason for the inconvenience is that the list technology is behind
>the times.  Many other lists - like Yahoo! groups - have options like
>NOMAIL and neat ways to peruse messages online.  With such improvements
>in place, anyone wanting to post could be a member without having to
>receive all that mail.

I am not sure I was understood correctly.  I while ago I was a member of
an organization
called HOSPEX.  I think it is long since dead.  In order for mail to be
passed by the list
server you had to be registered.  IE: joeblow@spammer.org would not be
able to send
mail because he was not a member.  This doesn't solve the problem 100%
because he could
simply just register and then spam, but it does make it a little more
difficult.

The problem seems to be that people get lists of email reflectors (major
domo's) and this
makes their job easier for them to send their spam.  If they are serious
users then they won't
mind registering, but the average spammer just uses a list and doesn't
go to the effort.  So
the idea of online perusal and even sending mail from a web-based form
would also work
because it is not an "automatic" method, and thus likely not used by a
spammer.

This then makes it work good for everybody --even unregistered or
mail-only users.

Sounds sort of like a feature request--who does these anyways???

Regards

Andy