Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 08:05:20 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, kgasso@blort.org, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CDs with patched Apache?

Why not fix the bugs, and anything else that comes along in the next week or so
(or however long it takes to fix the bugs and rebuild iso's), and release a
4.6.1?

Maybe FreeBSD needs an "security update check" tool built into sysinstall, that
will do something like:

If system is being installed from the net, or installing packages from the net,
automatically grab the update list, and show user possible security risks -
possibly asking the user if they would like to upgrade their package/system
right then.

If system is not being installed or installing packages from the net, ask the
user if they would like to connect to the net to do the checking.

I think most commercial admins subscribe to the security lists, and will "do the
right thing", but it's the other half of the FreeBSD users that I would worry
about.

There is a reason that almost all OS's are using this tactic to get updates and
patches installed.  If this was a seperate tool, it could be used to easily show
the admin what packages are at risk on the box, without the need to manually
match up pkg's installed versus packages at risk.

Heck, I think I'll look for a tool that does that now, and if there isn't one,
I'll write one myself.

Eric