Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 2002 10:28:24 -0700
From:      richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   802.11b antennas

I was thumbing through a Jameco catalog last night and noticed that they offer 2.4
GHz antenna boosters (PN 174748, 179872), a high-gain directional antenna (or is
that redundant? - PN 174721), and something called a '2.4 GHz SMA RF Antenna' (PN
179864) that looks like it might fit onto some of the WAPs I've seen (but I'm not
sure what 'SMA' refers to).

Note that none of this equipment was originally made for 802.11b-specific markets
and that careful reading of the device and antenna specifications, paying
attention to ohms and milliamps and such, is indicated.

Jameco's phone number is 800-831-4242.

I haven't looked recently but NASA Tech Briefs (the magazine) is a great source of
space-age supplies (duh :-); specifically, things like EMF shielding materials and
the like. Warner, you might want to check them out WRT tin foil equivalents.

Both of these are on the Web, I suppose, but I leave digging them up as exercises
for interested readers.

I suppose somewhere on the 'Nyet there may be a compendium of 802.11b antennae
wisdom, by now, that we could all stand to reference ... if not, maybe someone
should start one.

I went looking for the 802.11b specifications and encountered indications that
they are accessible only to IEEE members. Anyone have a URL to a public copy?

(That goes for all of 'em; 802.11[a-z].)

You'd think they'd be on a server, *somewhere* on the UC Berkeley campus ...

-- richard

--

Richard A Childers/KG6HAC -- Senor UNIX System & Network Administrator
"Dont forget nothing." Maj Rogers, standing orders, 1st Ranger Bn, 1759