Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 22:03:34 +0200
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@401.cx>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Administrivia: Discussion - Making this list subscriber-only

Mark Murray wrote:
> Hello Security list members
>
> I got an overwhelmingly positive (off-list, thanks!) response to
> my complaint that this list's signal-to-noise ratio was terrible.
>
> Some folks are still replying to spam on list, but the noise figure
> has dropped significantly. Thank you!
>
> I would very much like to make this list subscriber-only. This will
> cut down dramatically on spam and the inevitable misdirected
> 'subscribe' postings. The downside is that folks will not be able
> to reply to the list if they receive it via a list redirector (IE
> if a corporate role account/list-alias has been used to subscribe).
> In this case, those folks would become read-only members (which may
> in some cases be OK). Other folks would need to subscribe to the
> list with their 'real' email address.
>
> Comments? Suggestions? (Keep it brief and focussed, folks!)

I have read a lot of replys to this mail, with arguments for and
against a subscriber-only list, and so far I have not seen the
against side come up with one single valid argument.

To have to be subscribed to post is for me fully understandable
on a _discussion_ list. To be able to be part of a discussion you
have to be subscribed, so I really cant see what the problem is
here. If you have a single question you want answered, this is
not to place to ask it. Try -questions.

RBL and spamblocks really isnt a good solution. They all miss,
they may block valid posts, and the spammers are starting to
learn how to avoid them.

People subscribed from different email addresses, checking from
work etc etc, get a mail client that support several accounts and
lets you choose which one to send/recieve from.

To put it short, Im all for subscriber-only...I cant believe it
isnt done already.

Just my $0.02