Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:59:29 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
To:        kelley eicher <carde@astro.umn.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mylex (mly) controller problems

kelley eicher wrote:

> have a couple mylex extremeraid 2000 cards in a system that i'd like to
> switch from linux to freebsd and use as a file server.
>
> couple problems come with that desire though.
>
> it seem that the driver has a lot of problems communicating with the
> controllers at boot. the only thing i've had work so far is to have 1
> disk array defined over 1 channel. it boots somewhat reasonably like
> this. if i add more disk arrays to other channels on the same controller
> or add another controller with more disk arrays attached to it, the
> system takes a very very _v_e_r_y_ long time to boot... if i have the
> patience to wait 20 minutes or and hour or so.
>
> during those long minutes while waiting for the machine to come up, i
> watch the drives in the enclosures and i can see detection and syncing
> activity there by the leds behavior.
>
> the point at which the boot process hangs up is immediately after the
> phrase "waiting XX seconds for scsi devices to settle". there are no
> error messages reported to the console as the mly driver attempts to
> bring up the disk arrays and controllers.
>
> i have seen some posts from a while back about unconfigured drivers
> causing behavior similar to this. those posts however, mention log
> messages that i have never seen from the mly driver. i also have all of
> my drives configured in disk arrays.
>
> any idears?
>
> -kelley

Is this with FreeBSD 5.0 or 4.7?  I'm aware of the 5.0 problem with the
driver going to lunch and not completing commands, but I haven't
seen it take a long time to probe like you describe.  Anyways, I'm currently
looking at the first problem as I type, and hopefully I'll have some sort
of a fix soon.

Scott