Date:      Mon, 03 Feb 2003 10:27:12 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Larry Sica <lomion@mac.com>
Cc:        "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>, Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, John Martinez <rolnif@mac.com>, barbish@a1poweruser.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: oh my god the nasa shuttle blewup

Larry Sica wrote:
> On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 02:30 AM, f.johan.beisser wrote:
> >> Wont happen, this is way to important to NASA, and the rest of the
> >> world.  This is not a US project, but a world project.
> >
> > this project is more important to the US than anyone else. while ESA
> > and our Russian friends are involved, we're the ones that've invested
> > the most time and money in to it.
>
> Still doesn't mean it is not important.  Consider that the US is the
> primary way materials are going up.

This is unlikely to remain true in the future.  With this most
recent loss, the U.S. has lost 25% of it's heavy lift capability,
and if you include the Challenger, it has lost 40% of the designed
total heavy lift capability.

The National Aerospace plane project has been quietly cancelled,
with the inability to manufacture the necessary fuel tank for
the anhydride fuel storage for the linear aerospike engine, and
unlike previous efforts, the DC-X "Delta Clipper" developement
was scrapped before either of the competitors had built anthing
but parts or scaled down models.

Meanwhile China is aggressively pursuing a manned spaceflight
program, and the Russians still have the ability to loft heavier
payloads than anyone else on the planet, even if we were capable
of restarting the Saturn V assembly line, which we're not.  The
Japanese also have a program, and it's likely that India and other
nations will enter the launch services market more strongly.

-- Terry