Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 2003 10:00:38 +0100
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@401.cx>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dillon@'s commit bit: I object

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
[snip]
> That doesn't matter - if you use it and you don't contribute then you
> are getting it for nothing.
[snip lots of text]

I swore I would not get sucked into this thread, but I just cant
take this without objecting.

I cant program worth shit. My skills are limited to simple Perl
or shell scripts, I wouldnt be able to write a C program even if
my life depended on it.
However, I run FreeBSD, and lots of it. Several machines at home
are tracking the latest in -STABLE and -CURRENT. At work, I
advocate FreeBSD as soon as I get a chance, which has resulted in
that what was once a Windows/Netware only shop now frequently
invests in new hardware and immediatly installs FreeBSD on it.
Firewalls, DNS's, mail- and webservers all run FreeBSD, and even
some of the fileservers are starting to move towards BSD/Samba
powered systems. I have somewhat forced my company to buy several
copies of every FreeBSD release on CD or DVD, which they dont
mind since it's still a fraction of what it would cost to run
win2k Advanced on all servers.
On my sparetime, I sleep, eat and breath FreeBSD. I spend most
weekends helping out small companies or friends or even friends
of friends setting up firewalls for their home, a small webserver
for their garage firm, maybe a fileserver for a small local
internet café or helping the local computer store install FreeBSD
on some machines because their customers asked if it was supported.
I spend hours each day on various BSD portal sites answering
newbie questions in forums and I try to help out on the
mailinglists as soon as I have the time.
I have *never* turned down anyone asking for help!

Now some people claim this is worth nothing, I should not get a
say at all since I cant code?
On the other hand, any random person with some programming
knowledge but totally lacking social skills, he is a welcome
contributor to the project?

Sorry if I sound harsh, and let me just make clear that this mail
is not directly aimed at the author of the mail to which it
replies, he just happened to be the one that set it off.
Following this thread Ive seen a lot of people expressing
opinions that could easily be interpreted as 'if you cant code,
youre not contributing'.
I sincerely hope this is not the opinion of the majority of the
community. If it is, I will (reluctantly but as soon as possible)
switch to linux.