Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:07:12 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        "Andrew R. Reiter" <arr@watson.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 603e support (IBM thinkpad)

Hi Andrew,

> I am receiving a IBM Power Series laptop in the mail within a few days and
> am very interested in attempting to get FreeBSD work on this "age" of PPC
> going.  I read a previous email on the freebsd-ppc mailing list stating
> the difficulties in getting FreeBSD going on this type of PPC chip.  I
> also noted that you have a similar 603 chip laying about.

 There might be some confusion: the 860 is the Motorola MPC860 'PowerQUICC',
whereas I think the IBM laptop has a model number of '860'

  Is it one of these ?

http://www2.ibmlink.ibm.com/cgi-bin/master?request=salesmanual&parms=SMS&xh=aVxB3ceuwvyczq1USenGnN9332&xhi=usa.main%7Csalesmanual%5E&type=D&search=&title=T&product=7249

 The 603e processor isn't too far off from the G3, and I don't think any of the
differences would be exposed in the current FreeBSD port.

> Perhaps we could lay out some plans as to how we _could_ go about adding support for
> this chip?

 The most difficult task would be device support for the system controller, interrupt
controller (if it isn't OpenPIC), and peripherals. While it is theoretically possible to
use OpenFirmware for all i/o (i.e. NetBSD's ofwppc port), that would be hideously
slow, so I think you'd have to extract h/w info from Linux source.

 There's some good info on getting Linux to work on these machines at:

  http://penguinppc.org/projects/

later,

Peter.