Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 2003 17:55:21 +0100
From:      Ramanan Selvaratnam <rama@ukfsn.org>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hello -- Routing issues

Hello all,

I am experiencing problems while trying to route a FreeBSD 4.4  system
[1] to the internet via an ADSL modem [2].

  [FreeBSD install] <---ether--> [ADSL modem] <--PPP --> {Where I want
to get to from the other end}

[1] --
Output of 'uname -a' is as follows....

'FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE #0: Fri Sep 21 01:20:00 GMT 2001
root@bob.freebsd-services.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC   i386'

The network interface has been found and configured after some problems
with an embedded Gigabit ethernet interface .....the solution being
addition of a PCI based network card even though the manual page (man
em) claims support for Gigabit in version 4.4
Apart from this I have  tried to configure the routing when very sleepy
last night.....
I am familiar with Linux based routing tables but the current state of
my BSD installs routing table (output of 'netstat -nr') is beyond me.
(I have issued 'routed' on top of unsuccessful attempts at using the
'route' command.....
what is the equivalent of 'route add default gateway x.x.x.x' in Linux?)

Help!

Where should I start to troubleshoot?

[2] --
Dunno whether this is relevant but....
 my new ADSL modem ('ADSL ROUTER' is printed in big letters on it!)
has an internal IP of 10.0.0.2 by default and with the DHCP setting
given to my Linux box (by NAT I guess) I was able to connect to the
internet by using the Linux routing command.
Interestingly there is an option for 'RIP configuration' where the
option RIP among others seems to be disabled by default. ...again not
too usre whether this is an issue at this moment.

Enough details?

Best wishes,

Ramanan