Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:10:27 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   How do hackers drive?

I recently started reading Eric Raymond's _The_Art_of_UNIX_Programming_ and
it's gotten me taking another look at the way I am in general.

Just to make sure I'm not totally insane ...

When I am about to go somewhere in the car, I take a moment or two to
plan out the optimal route to get to my various destinations.  If there are
multiple destinations, I usually do a little thinking to determine what
order to visit these destinations in order to make optimal use of my time.
This is usually modified by the desire to choose a route that includes the
fewest number of left turns possible (since right turns are cheaper than
left turns, time-wise, and complexity-wise - you can make a right turn on
red for crying out loud)

Other programmers drive this way as well, correct?

The revelation is that I'm starting to understand that many non-programmer
_don't_ generally evaluate their car trips like this.  I mean, I know that
most people will plan out a route when they're going on a long trip, but
this planning procedure occurs _every_ time I get in the car, even if I'm
just going to the convenience store for some chips (I have to evaluate the
fact that there are two convenience stores equaldistance from here, one is
a less complex journey, while the other has a better selection!)

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies