Date:      Tue, 02 Jul 2024 11:20:53 +0000
From:      "Dave Cottlehuber" <dch@skunkwerks.at>
To:        "Steven Friedrich" <freebsdlouisville@gmail.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Stable" <FreeBSD-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd hdmi audi

On Tue, 2 Jul 2024, at 03:56, Steven Friedrich wrote:
> Linux routes sound from the audio driver to the video driver causing
> sound to come out of the HDMI cable. FreeBSD can't. This affects ALL i3,
> i5, i7, i9 systems.
> FreeBSD can't even support x11 on my GMKtec K8 with Radeon 780M
> graphics. Linux Mint does.

Hi Steven

Perhaps you can be more specific here about what's not working.

Here I've got:

- dell xps13 i7 [1] & intel nuc i5
- in 14.1-RELEASE and CURRENT
- capable of playing audio & video via HDMI
- I use the drm-kmod drivers & X11 not wayland

Can you link:
- what freebsd version this is for
- relevant parts of your dmesg for just 1 system
- if X doesn't start at all, whats in xorg logs?
- what kmods / video drivers you have set up on it
- set `sysctl hw.snd.verbose=2` and then attach `/dev/sndstat` info

More info is in https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/multimedia/

I use mpg123 or mpv for quick tests, for audio & video respectively.

[1]: https://wiki.freebsd.org/Laptops/Dell_XPS13_9360

A+
Dave