Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 21:46:14 -0500
From:      Brian Adkins <brian@lojic.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Java support

Hello,
  can you tell me how the FreeBSD organization feels about Java?  In other
words, are you committed to supporting it on FreeBSD now and in the future?
 I ask this for two reasons:

1) I'm evaluating operating systems to be used to host Java server
applications, and I'm looking for an alternative to NT and Solaris - both
of which currently have excellent Java support.

2) I would think that a committment to Java would be *very* important to
the free UNIX organizations.  Java is an incredible language to develop in
and does offer an alternative to the Wintel monopoly.  You have millions of
Java programmers and many of them have been attracted to the cross-platform
capabilities of Java and are dying for a deployment platform other than NT.

Personally I think a free OS combined with Java is an incredible
combination; however, when I read things like "this might work for you, or
it might not" on the Java port page, it makes me not want to consider
FreeBSD as a host for my server even though everything else about FreeBSD
gets me excited.

By the way, we're not developing an internal application, we have a
vertical market app that in many cases will be installed as a complete
system (hardware, OS, app etc.).  I would really like to be able to
recommend FreeBSD as the OS of choice for the turnkey systems.

thanks,

Brian Adkins