Date:      Wed, 08 Sep 1999 21:20:46 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Contributors, or lack thereof

At 02:54 PM 9/8/99 -0400, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

>On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Brett Glass wrote:
> > 5. An "elitist" attitude which discourages even very talented
> >     potential contributors to the code base;
>
>Ok, I can't claim to be even moderately talented but having transitioned
>from a 'potential contributor' to an 'actual contributor' to a 'somewhat
>active committer' over the period of about 2 months my perception of the
>FreeBSD project is in direct opposition of this statement.

Maybe that's because (a) You've tried to contribute code, not other things
such as strategies for advocacy; and/or (b) you've contributed in areas
where the person or persons who controlled that "turf" welcomed the input.
The few times I've volunteered code, the person responsible for that
area has acted insulted that I didn't think it was perfect already.

> > 6. A shortage of contributors to handle known problems in the code
> >     base (due to items 1 and 5 above); and
>
>The rate of growth of the committer base is in line with the projects
>ability to properly assimilate the new members.

If so, then how come Jordan, and others, frequently post messages saying,
"We're only human and we don't have enough help?"

>There will always be a shortage of contributors.

It could sure get a lot better.

>I see a large part of your complaints as simple hand-waving.

No, they're not hand-waving. They're based on consistent data from
multiple, reliable sources.

--Brett