Date:      Tue, 06 Mar 2001 13:15:16 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Trent Waddington <s337240@student.uq.edu.au>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Stallman stalls again

At 12:55 PM 3/6/2001, Trent Waddington wrote:

>need I quote the essay?  Sheesh...
>
>"The copyright bargain that we have is no longer a good deal for the
>public, and it is time to revise it--time for the law to recognize the
>public benefit that comes from making and sharing copies."

You're being misled by Stallman's rhetoric.

Stallman CLAIMS -- disingenously -- at the start of his essay that he
is going to propose a bargain, but in fact what he proposes is not
any sort of bargain at all. Rather, he proposes a result which is
entirely favorable to him and his agenda.

The key statement in Stallman's essay is this one:

"There is no possible justification for prohibiting the public from
copying what it wants to copy."

No restrictions on copying at all. No artists' rights. No compensation
for authors, composers, musicians, or programmers. In short, no copyright.

--Brett