Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:48:06 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Justin A Kolodziej <4wg7kolodzie@vmsb.csd.mu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Emulated Quake2 a no-go

[sorry for my null first reply - slip of the fingers]

>  back to Linux,"  I wouldn't have a problem with that.  But when you a.
>  avoid the question, b. point me to information that is not actually
>  relevant to my situation, and c. then try to get rid of me by pointing
>  me to the wrong group, that only confirms what I should have suspected
>  when I mistakenly sent my subscribe command to the list:  If you're not
>  perfect AND you're not interested in writing code for the next version
>  of FreeBSD, you have no business getting a current snapshot, despite
> the
>  fact that it's as freely available as the release version.  Because

First off, let me just point out a couple of things:

1. The very fact that list subscribership IS open will lead to you
   getting a very wide range of replies to your queries.  Some people
   will call you an idiot, others will attempt to help you and still
   others will give you blatant misinformation in response to your
   queries.  Them's the breaks!  You either get a tightly controlled
   list where only the carefully screened can post to it, thus ensuring
   high quality replies (and not, incidently, the ability for you to
   post your question in the first place) or you have an open list
   where pretty much anybody can get on a soap box and speak his mind.

   Since this is an open list, you either have to be able to cope with
   the side-effects of its being open or you should indeed unsubscribe.

2. People *should* only run -current if their level of technical skill
   is better than average.  This is stated in the handbook and -current
   itself, at least in the form of snapshots and the various instructions
   which describe cvsuping to it, and it's very much the case that there
   are many people who should NOT be running -current but do anyway,
   generally forcing others on this list to make up for their shortcomings
   by posting lots of questions that anyone with a better-than-average
   level of skill would not.  That, quite frankly, sucks and of course
   there's going to be a set of people constantly saying "don't run
   -current, dammit!" since abuse in this department runs rather high.

   People routinely push buttons labelled "danger, high voltage!  DO NOT
   PUSH!" too, and coping with the stupid, curious monkeys that humans often
   are can get to be a real drag sometimes - I wouldn't blame the
   people who have the job of scraping such people off the wall too
   much for being both cynical and embittered at human stupidity.  It comes
   with the job.

					Jordan