Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:25:20 -0500
From:      Philippe Vachon <phirkel@sympatico.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SoundBlaster 16 PnP ISA Card on 5.1

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>Philippe Vachon <phirkel@sympatico.ca> writes:
>

>>I just subscribed to the list, but I've been using FreeBSD on and off
>>for a few months now. There has, however, been one thing lacking from
>>my FreeBSD setup and that is the ability to play sound!
>>

>Do bear in mind that you are running an outdated version of an "early
>adopter's" release of the OS.
>

>>I followed the directions in the handbook (namely adding the line to
>>load the snd_ab16.ko kernel module to loader.conf) and adjusted the
>>

>Nowhere in the handbook is the snd_sb16.ko module even mentioned.
>Did you try just loading the snd_pcm.ko module?
>

>>volume. The sound, when it does play, is compressed -- i.e. runs at 10
>>times the speed it should. I can't even play any audio with XMMS.
>>

>That's not what "compressed" normally means in relation to audio.
>What did you use to play audio besides xmms?
>Did something different happen when you used xmms, or was that just
>awkward phrasing?
>

>>Anybody have any ideas? It's a Creative SoundBlaster 16 PnP ISA card
>>(model CT4180), and it's in a PIII450 box with an ASUS P2BF
>>motherboard. Any help will be appreciated.
>>

>I have such a card (probably not *quite* the same model) in my -STABLE
>box...

I did try loading just the snd_pcm module, which did nothing.
SoundBlaster cards need a bridge, as far as I can tell, to the PCM
driver. That's where the snd_sbc and snd_sb16 kernel modules come in.

I had used more than just XMMS -- I used cdcontrol (making sure the
volume was turned up on the analogue CD input), which didn't play audio
at all, as was the case with XMMS. When I tried using applications that
use sound (i.e. Gaim), the sound was compressed (sped up if you will).

As I said before, the sound is compressed -- not in the data sense, but
rather in the analogue sense where the wavelength of a waveform
decreases, as does the period. I appologize if I had confused you, but
I'm not a Software Engineer -- merely a lowly Electrical Engineering
Student. :)

I'm not quite sure what you mean by outdated - does FreeBSD go with the
Linux Kernel release numbers - odd for development, even for stable - or
am I missing something, because uname-a tells me I'm running 5.1-RELEASE.

Thanks.
Phil V.