Date:      Tue, 02 Mar 1999 12:11:10 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@iafrica.com>
To:        Søren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI and ATAPI_STATIC with the new ATA* driver?

On Tue, 02 Mar 1999 10:49:17 +0100, Søren Schmidt wrote:

> Yes, they are not used by the new driver, it only needs the above lines
> in config, depending on how many subdrivers you want of cause.

Excellent. :-)

The only thing that bit me was that I used wd0 and wd2 with the older
driver, whereas the newer driver automatically decided to use ad0 and
ad1. This is "expected" behaviour, but it's something for other weenies
to watch out for. :-)

Sadly, cdcontrol still doesn't work with the newer driver and my
braindead Creative Labs Infra36 CDROM drive. My older quad speed HITACHI
still works. I noticed that the error message has changed, though. I
used to get

cdcontrol> play
cdcontrol: Input/output error

Now I get

cdcontrol> play
cdcontrol: Unknown error: 84

I guess no amount of programmer cleverness is going to get around crap
hardware. Still, if you want me to try things with the hardware I've
got, I'm happy to try. I'd offer you shell access, but South African
connectivity isn't the best. :-)

acd1: <CREATIVECD2421E/1.04> CDROM drive at ata1 as slave
acd1: drive speed 112 - 4133KB/sec, 240KB cache
acd1: supported read types: CD-DA
acd1: Audio: play, 255 volume levels
acd1: Mechanism: ejectable tray
acd1: Medium: no/blank disc inside, unlocked

Ciao,
Sheldon.