Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:43:13 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB camera causing OS crash?

Canon Powershot A70

FreeBSD redshift 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #0: Sat Jan  1 18:37:13
GMT 2005     mark@redshift:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/REDSHIFT  i386

ugen1: Canon Inc. Canon Digital Camera, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2

This camera used to work just fine in digikam but now doesn't (can't say
exactly when it stopped though). Keep getting "Can't connect to camera"
error when trying to open the camera although digikam does auto-detect it.

Googling threw up some info at
http://gphoto.org/doc/manual/permissions-usb.html about allowing USB
devices to be accessed by non-root users (section 4.3.3.1. FreeBSD 5.x
near the bottom of the page) which says to add the following to
/etc/rc.local:

/sbin/devfs ruleset 10
/sbin/devfs rule applyset
/sbin/devfs rule add path ugen1* mode 666
/sbin/devfs rule show

I've done that, but now instead of "Can't connect to camera" the
computer locks up and after about 10 seconds reboots - all the
filesystems are reported as not being properly dismounted on reboot.
Nothing is written to any logs (obviously) so I can't provide any info.

BTW, this problem also happens when trying to connect to the camera in
Konqueror using camera:/ both as root and non-root users. I imagine it
would also occur in digikam as root but for some reason the OK button is
disabled in the configure dialogue when running as root so I can't save
the camera in order to connect to it.

I don't know if this is related, but I see this error 8 times when booting:

ACPI-0252: *** Error: No object was returned from
[\\_SB_.PCI0.UAR2._STA] (Node 0xc22e14a0), AE_NOT_EXIST

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Regards,

Mark