Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:52:27 -0700
From:      Aaron Dalton <aaron@daltons.ca>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error installing print/latex

Erik Trulsson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 09:14:57AM -0700, Aaron Dalton wrote:
>
>>When doing a make on print/latex I get the following error:
>>
>>===>   Compressing manual pages for tex-3.14159_2
>>===>   Registering installation for tex-3.14159_2
>>===>   Returning to build of latex2e-2003.12_1
>>===>  Configuring for latex2e-2003.12_1
>>===>  Building for latex2e-2003.12_1
>>! I can't read tex.pool; bad path?
>>*** Error code 1
>>Stop in /usr/ports/print/latex.
>>
>>I am sure this is some sort of path thing because tex.pool indeed exists
>> at /usr/local/share/texmf/web2c/tex.pool; however, I have been unable
>>to figure out what I need to change where to make it work.
>>
>>I'm running 5.2.1-RELEASE.  Any help you could provide would be most
>>appreciated.  Thank you for your time!
>

> Is there some particular reason why you must use print/latex ?
> If there is not I would suggest that you use print/teTeX instead.
> It is probably more up to date and is what most people use for
> TeX-related stuff.

Well I've only ever used LaTeX.  Perhaps I don't need it, but I'm not
sure.  I am unfamiliar with the specific differences between plain TeX
and the LaTeX2e macros.  I use Miktex on my windows box and have always
used LaTeX reference materials for composing my documents.  LaTeX used
to be installed on this BSD box and I don't recall having any problems
back then (it was installed as a part of print/lilypond).  Well, now
that I look through lilypond's Makefile, it appears that latex is a part
of print/teTeX?  *is a little confused*  I will try installing that instead.

What are the differences between print/latex and print/teTeX?  Why are
there two ports?

Thanks for your help!
Aaron