Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:39:29 +0100
From:      Herbert Feutl <herbert.feutl@gmx.at>
To:        Cesar Mello <cmello@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Discovered a new browser...

i am also searching for lightweight software
but its hard to find.
i'm running freebsd 4.10 on a toschiba libretto 100CT

what i need at this time is a graphicle filemanager, imageviewer and a mail client.

also i am searching for a nice icq glient für my fluxbox which can handle with a display size of 800x480.

thanx

herbert

Cesar Mello wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> I feel happy to find people like you that seek lightweight software. I
> run FreeBSD 5.3 on a Toshiba Portege Pentium 133 with 32 MB of RAM,
> and use dillo also. But even Xorg is too much bloatware nowadays,
> unfortunately.
>
> Best regards!
> Cesar
>

> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 05:15:42 -0500 (EST), Tom Huppi <thuppi@huppi.com> wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Herbert Feutl wrote:
>>

>>>dillo is a nice browser, but problems with frames are not acceptable for me.
>>>so i found a better and faster solution.
>>>its smaller and faster and if you want, you can browse also in the text modus.
>>>also nice is, that you do not need a big display, so i can surf really good at 800x480.
>>>
>>>install:
>>>links
>>>pkg_add -r links
>>>
>>>start it with the option g und you have won.
>>>links -g
>>>makes links graphically
>>
>>I just built it and gave it a quick test.  Thanks for the tip.
>>It's only been recently that I've taken an interest in seeking out
>>lightweight software.  (The inspiration for me is that I'm
>>thinking of replacing an old worm-infested win95 OS on a friend of
>>mine's P-200 32MB system.  He's not computer literate, but all he
>>does is e-mail and web, and I think maybe I can make it easy
>>enough for him.)
>>
>>It does seem, however, that both 'links -g' and 'dillo' handle at
>>least Google 'groups' frames in the same manner...at least the
>>versions that I'm running.  As I said, I actually kind of like
>>this.  It provides more horizontal space for the listings.  Lot of
>>times frames seem to be mainly a place for people to try to sell
>>you junk anyway :)  Links also seems to handle tables differently
>>(or the one at the top of my home page is illegal to it or
>>something.)
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>> - Tom

*---------------------------
+ http://www.redhotchilli.org
+ http://www.wasted-darlings.com
+ http://webcam.istsehr.org
+ http://www.kirnbo.net

In life there are going to be some things
thats going to make it hard to smile.

But what ever you do,
through all the rain and the pain,
you got to keep your sense of humor,