Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 1998 14:26:49 -0500
From:      Matt White <mwhite@cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPTP and FreeBSD

--On Sunday, December 27, 1998, 3:56 PM +0100 J Wunsch
<j@uriah.heep.sax.de> wrote:

> In any case: M$ PPTP is a sad joke, and nothing else.  Nobody who's
> concerned the slightest about security (and after all, improving
> security is the designated purpose of PPTP) should ever use the M$
> implementation.

Could this have anything to do with the fact that the Win9x version of the
PPTP client doesn't even support encryption of the data stream?

Regardless, we would like a PPTP server running under FreeBSD/Linux/Solaris
at this site because we subscribe to a number of services that do security
by IP address.  Our desire would be more to be able to assign IPs from our
address space to roaming users.

Since we don't consider our local wire to be secure in any way shape or
form, we encrypt all sensitive traffic in the application.  IMO, this is
the only sane way to do things.

-Matt