Date:      Sat, 02 Apr 2005 23:13:11 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_N=F8rgaard?= <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        Gert Cuykens <gert.cuykens@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can i delete /stand ?

Gert Cuykens wrote:

>>You might want to check your init_path in loader.conf, in
>>/boot/defaults/loader.conf it is set to
>>
>>   /sbin/init:/sbin/oinit:/sbin/init.bak:/stand/sysinstall
>>
>>it would be sensible to replace /stand/sysinstall by /rescue/init
>>
> What happens if i leave /stand/sysinstall and put nothing in return ?
> How will singel user look like ?

The same. /stand/sysinstall starts the installer, it's the last thing
the loader will try if everything else fail, then it must be because you
have no system and would like to install one - right? But then, you
might as well use an install disc.

Asuming you have a working system there is really no use for /stand. All
the files in /stand are hardlinks to the /stand/boot_crunch file.

Some people like sysinstall as a postconfiguration tool, and documen-
tation refers to this. But you can run it from /usr/sbin/sysinstall

On the other hand it surprises me that /rescue/init is not in the
init_path, for system recovery it is far more usefull than sysinstall,
it will give you a single user like system with a shell.

So, if you can't stand /stand - go ahead delete it - but don't sue me if
you some day need it :-)

Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                           web: http://www.locolomo.org