Date:      Fri, 13 May 2005 12:11:59 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Michael Dexter <dexter@ambidexter.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD from CD

Hi Michael,

> Failing that, I concluded that it would be easiest to mount the
> PowerBook (Pismo) in FireWire "target disk mode" on an x86 system from
> which I can partition and install software either from install ISO
> binaries or source.
>
> Assumption: UFS2 under x86 will be the same as UFS2 under PowerPC. Flawed?

  Yes :(  The FreeBSD UFS code will only work on the endian type that
created the filesystem. (NetBSD can be compiled to do this - it detects
the disk endian and byte-swaps appropriately). PPC and i386 won't be
able to read a UFS volume created by the other.

  Even though the kernel can't detect the media bay, the loader can
still use it, so I'd recommend an NFS install.

> Else from source but I encountered the following build errors:
> And under current:
>
> building shared library libasn1.so.7
> Abort trap (core dumped)
> *** Error code 134
>
> Stop in /usr/src/kerberos5/lib/libasn1.
> *** Error code 1

  The compiler needs to be patched

     http://people.freebsd.org/~grehan/sysv4.h.diff
     http://people.freebsd.org/~grehan/rs6000.c.diff

> Was miniinst.iso created with a normal 'make release' process?

  Yep, on an eMac. All the release stuff is in the tree.

later,

Peter.