Date:      Thu, 19 May 2005 23:04:19 +0200
From:      Andreas Tobler <toa@pop.agri.ch>
To:        Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updated install ISO

Hi Peter and others,

Peter Grehan wrote:

>  Let me know how it goes!

Well, progress!!!

First, thanks a lot.

I was able to netboot my AL book (the ti too, but it does not work with
kbd) with this latest snapshot.
The filesystem was no more ro, the base processes could write.

Unfortunately here comes the next problem. Having everything on a nfs
exported fs gives some troubles in regard with flock. Some
'applications' do call flock which does only work if I enable rpc_lockd,
rpc_statd and rpcbind.

Doing so, I do not get any errors like this:
cannot flock(/var/run/sendmail.pid, fd=5, type=6, omode=40001, euid=0):
Operation not supported.

But during startup I hang in cron:

cat /var/log/cron:

/usr/sbin/cron[361]: (CRON) DEATH (can't lock /var/run/cron.pid,
otherpid may be 0: Operation not supported)

Here I'm stuck. I do not know on how (if) to go on.

As said, the exporting nfs is on linuxpcc. I tried with and without
statd/lockd enabled/disabled on both linux/fbsd.

Any ideas?

Other issues I saw:

My AL book is a 1.5GHz book:

cpu0: Motorola PowerPC 7447A revision 1.1, 752.32 MHz
cpu0: HID0 8450c0bc<EMCP,TBEN,NAP,DPM,ICE,DCE,SGE,BTIC,LRSTK,FOLD,BHT>

In the messages it reports the above. Half of the cpu clock.

Also, instead of mounting via nfs I tried to install onto a fw drive:

firewire0: New S400 device ID:0001a30000054263
kernel: da0 at sbp0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
kernel: da0: <Genesys  > Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: 50.000MB/s transfers
kernel: da0: 57231MB (117210240 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 7296C)

Here it complains that it cannot mount da0s3, permission denied. Is this
not yet supported?

I know, lot of q's :)

Ok, last q, just for the curious, what was the issue of having the nfs
only ro?

Thanks a lot for the speedy update.

Regards,
Andreas