Date:      Fri, 20 May 2005 10:21:00 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Andreas Tobler <toa@pop.agri.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updated install ISO

Hi Andreas,

> I was able to netboot my AL book (the ti too, but it does not work with
> kbd) with this latest snapshot.
> The filesystem was no more ro, the base processes could write.
> Here I'm stuck. I do not know on how (if) to go on.

  On a diskless system, there are some filesystems that should be made
out of ramdisks locally - /var is one of those. The handbook kinda
mentions it:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-diskless.html

  Maybe what you need to do is to export the root filesystem as
read-only, and then have a r/w /usr filesystem - the scripts in
/etc/rc.d seem like they recognise that situation and create the
appropriate ramdisk /tmp and /var filesystems.

> Other issues I saw:
>
> My AL book is a 1.5GHz book:
>
> cpu0: Motorola PowerPC 7447A revision 1.1, 752.32 MHz
> cpu0: HID0 8450c0bc<EMCP,TBEN,NAP,DPM,ICE,DCE,SGE,BTIC,LRSTK,FOLD,BHT>
>
> In the messages it reports the above. Half of the cpu clock.

  I think what is happening here is that recent portables don't boot to
their full speed immediately to conserve power and reduce heat. They can
be shifted up to their full speed with a complicated programming sequence:

  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2002/08/05/0002.html

> Also, instead of mounting via nfs I tried to install onto a fw drive:
>
> firewire0: New S400 device ID:0001a30000054263
> kernel: da0 at sbp0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> kernel: da0: <Genesys  > Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device
> da0: 50.000MB/s transfers
> kernel: da0: 57231MB (117210240 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 7296C)
>
> Here it complains that it cannot mount da0s3, permission denied. Is this
> not yet supported?

  Should be - the install ISO was built on an external firewire drive.
Can you do a 'sysctl -b kern.geom.conftxt' to see the partitions ?

  I will admit, I've only ever used an Apple-partition-map formatted
drive, so if this is MBR, that could be an issue.

> Ok, last q, just for the curious, what was the issue of having the nfs
> only ro?

  See rev 1.175 and 1.176 of nfs/nfs_vfsops.c:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/nfsclient/nfs_vfsops.c

later,

Peter.