Date:      Thu, 26 May 2005 10:26:01 +0200
From:      Olaf Greve <o.greve@axis.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compatible DVD burners for AMD-64 version of FreeBSD 5.4?

Hi,

Thanks for your replies!

Ronald wrote:
 >Over the years Plextor CD and DVD rewriters have served me well. That's
 >why I chose a PX-712A for my amd64 system. It works flawlessly with
 >cdrecord and growisofs via the CAM SCSI subsystem.

Tnx!
I'll take a look at that one.

Actually you mention something interesting: I hadn't checked out the
interface type. Do you know if DVD rewriters would typically be SCSI or ATA?

I will use an Adaptec 2200S U320 RAID controller for the harddrives, so
perhaps an ATA interface would be easier to configure indepenently of
another SCSI device (then again: maybe not). Any advice in that respect?

Tony wrote:
> My understanding is that any burner will show up and give you a block
> device, rather it's the authoring software that has the burden to
> recognize the burner for what it really is, and make full use of it.
>
> That said, what authoring software are you intending to use?  I've had
> lots of luck in the past using K3B.  Are you going old sk00l and using
> mkisofs? ;)

It'll be the first time I'll be using a DVD burner under FreeBSD, so I
still do not know which software best to use. The intended use for it is
to have my (cron scheduled) back-up script write the back-up to DVD
periodically (as well as being able to do this manually). I do not
intend to put KDE/Gnome on the machine, so as far as I'm concerned no
fancy interfaces are required. In fact: I'd rather have a text based
interface, e.g. like sysinstall.

Can someone perhaps let me know what most closely matches such an interface?

Tnx and cheers,
Olafo