Date:      Sat, 08 Jun 1996 09:13:51 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Karl Denninger, MCSNet" <karl@mcs.com>
Cc:        pst@shockwave.com (Paul Traina), nate@sri.MT.net, softweyr@xmission.com, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's /var/mail permissions

"Karl Denninger, MCSNet" wrote in message ID
<m0uS9Nx-000IDOC@venus.mcs.com>:
> Mail locking, to be effective, must *work across machines* so that NFS
> mounts of the mail directory work.

> flock() cannot be trusted to work in this environment, and in fact doesn't
> even attempt to work on FreeBSD.

> Does this mean we should give up on using mail?

No, it means you should give up on using NFS mounting of /var/mail (or
/var/spool/mail, or wherever else your local OS sticks it). NFS is an
abombination at the best of times, and NFS locking even more so. THere
are far more elegant solutions to the problem of distributing mail to
client workstations, namely IMAP and POP. Sure, it means that people
who use /usr/bin/mail to read their e-mail will be stumped, but I
think that the pro's of using this form of mail distribution far
outweigh the cons.

(The fact that my favourite mailer, MH supports POP, SPOP, etc, has
 nothing to do with it :-)

Gary