Date:      Tue, 06 Feb 2024 09:28:50 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
Subject:   Re: newaliases changed?

Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org> writes:

> On 2/5/24 16:23, Peter wrote:
>> Hello!
>> On Mon, Feb 05, 2024 at 04:15:02PM -0700, Gary Aitken wrote:
>>> Recently upgraded from 12.4 to 13.2
>>> When I run newaliases, I get a bunch of complaints for things that
>>> used to work fine:
>>> /etc/mail/aliases: line 88: goodfriends: ... missing value for alias
>>> /etc/mail/aliases: line 89: Non-continuation line starts with space
>>>
>>> The entries in question look like this:
>>>
>>> #friends: (bad addrs)
>>> #         foo@bentley.unco.edu, #      bentley.unco.edu: host not found
>>> #         baz@kcs.keene.k12.ny.us
>>>
>>> goodfriends:
>>>            foo1@blackfoot.net, \
>>>            foo2@comcast.net, \
>>>            foo3@aol.com, \
>>>            foo4@fatquailfarm.com, \
>>>            foo5@sbcglobal.net, \
>>>            foo6@blackfoot.net, \
>>>            foo7@tnc.org, \
>>>            foo8@aol.com, \
>>>            foo9@hotmail.com, \
>>>            foo10@blackfoot.net
>>>
>>> This is a cut and paste, obviously; the whitespace is all blanks.
>>> huh?
>>> Thanks for any tips.
>
>> I don't know the proper syntax, but based on the errors
>> I think that a " \" after "goodfriends:" could work.
>
> My fault, I was trying things out and put it back without the '\'
> Adding one doesn't help.

Well, it was certainly necessary, so you're ahead of where you were.

Make sure there's no whitespace after the backslashes, although I
suspect that would give you a different error.

Check whether you are using the correct newaliases program. Some mail
software (e.g., postfix) will install their own. ["which -a newaliases"]

Good luck.