Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2006 16:29:31 +0100
From:      Rafal Jaworowski <raj@semihalf.com>
To:        Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ppc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HFS+

Hi Peter,

>> On a somewhat fs-related note: is anyone aware of efforts towards
>> support for cross-endian UFS? It would be nice to create and populate
>> an MFS image on LE host. I looked at this briefly, but it didn't seem
>> like the quickest task and maybe someone is already working on it.
>
>  This has come up a few times with various folk (Kip Macy ?) saying that
> it didn't take long to pull across the NetBSD changes that do this.

I've had a look at relevant NetBSD (3.0) changes before but they seemed
rather intrusive, but am not that intimate with our UFS code, so it
might be not that big in FreeBSD case.

>  I believe the sysutils/makefs port can handle cross-endian builds.

Thanks for this pointer! It's very much what I was looking for. It's
still not possible to mount such image on LE host, but it's much better
than using a Sparc host only to create and populate a PowerPC MFS image:)

>  If you can get away with a read-only root, mkisofs can do the job and
> FreeBSD can deal with an isofs root mount.

Yes, I know, iso rootfs has been working nicely for us, but as you say
it's read only which stands a limitation beyond some basic service.

Rafal