Date:      Sat, 06 Jan 2007 23:28:47 +0100
From:      Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ufs_rename: fvp == tvp (can't happen), but it did

Hello,

I have two, completely identical machines, which run completely
identical services, with approximately the same load and access
patterns. The servers run qmail for receiving e-mails via the network
and courier for feeding the users via pop and imap.

The problem is the following: on machine A the mail spool is on a local
disk array (via ciss). On machine B we run experiments with an FC disk
array, so the e-mails are on gmirror'ed filesystems (on ciss for the
local disks and on isp for the FC array).

The strange thing happens when both the local and FC disks are working
in the mirrors. I get the following warning very often:
ufs_rename: fvp == tvp (can't happen)

If I do a gmirror remove for the FC array, these go away. Also, the
other machine (with only local disks) is free from this.

The servers run RELENG_6 (latest), have 1.271.2.7 from ufs_vnops.c
(which prints this error). The architecture is i386 and there are quad
cores (2xdual core Xeons), so the kernel is SMP.

Any ideas?

Thanks,