Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2007 12:43:39 -0500
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pf starts, but no rules

On 13 Feb 2007 at 13:21, Max Laier wrote:

> On Saturday 10 February 2007 22:05, Dan Langille wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Yesterday I rebooted a server to load a new kernel.  After the
> > reboot, the firewall rules were not loaded.
> >
> > $ grep pf /etc/rc.conf
> > pf_enable="YES"
> > pflog_enable="YES"
> > pf_rules="/etc/pf.rules"
> >
> > I never checked for the rules until today and found this:
> >

> > [dan@nyi:~] $ sudo pfctl -sa | less
> > Password:
> > No ALTQ support in kernel
> > ALTQ related functions disabled
> > FILTER RULES:
> >
> > INFO:
> >
> > Hostid: 0x36eae8cf
> >
> > State Table                          Total             Rate
> >   current entries                        0
> >   searches                         5515422           76.6/s
> >
> > etc...

> > [dan@nyi:~] $ sudo pfctl -f /etc/pf.rules
> > No ALTQ support in kernel
> > ALTQ related functions disabled
> > [dan@nyi:~] $
> >
> > After loading, pfctl -sa shows the output I would expect.
> >
> > Ideas?  Suggestions?
> >
> > Is anyone else using PF with a pf_rules specified?
> >
> > FWIW, I notice I have one host identified by FQDN in my rules.
>
> Check "dmesg -a" for error messages.  The FQDN is indeed one possible
> cause.  Other causes include dynamically created interfaces used in "set
> loginterface" or "set skip on" or as an address, but not surrounded
> with "()".
>
> One possible sollution that has been suggested would be to use a simple
> deny all but ssh/dns ruleset in the first stage and load the real ruleset
> once all interfaces are there and the resolver is working.  I'm willing
> to commit patches, though this is probably something best discussed on
> freebsd-rc@

Noted.  Agreed..

But personally, if I cannot reproduce it here, it's hard for me to
test I have a fix.  ;)  My plan to was to empty the table of the
FQDN, then add the FQDN into the table with an rc script later in thr
process.  I don't really want to test this on the production machine.
 I'll keep trying to reproduce it as I get the chance.

--
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php