Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2007 21:24:04 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quirk for this?

M. Warner Losh wrote:
> I have a umass device that lies about the size of the device:
>
> umass0: <SanDisk Corporation ImageMate CompactFlash USB, class 0/0, rev 1.10/0.09, addr 2> on uhub1
> da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da0: <SanDisk ImageMate II 1.30> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
> da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
> da0: 61MB (125441 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 61C)
>
> However, when I plug it in with other umass devices, this is what I
> see:
>
> umass0: <SanDisk ImageMate 14 in 1 Reader/Writer, class 0/0, rev 2.00/93.39, addr 2> on uhub2
> da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da0: <Generic STORAGE DEVICE 9339> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
> da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
> da0: 61MB (125440 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 61C)
>
> The 125440 number is what is reported by ata as well.
>
> Is there some way I can quirk this to not get a huge cascade of errors
> when the last sector is read by the tasting code?  I didn't see any
> way when I was reading the code, but the quirks are scatter in a few
> different files and I might have missed something.
>
> Warner

I don't understand, it changes its inquiry and size data depending on
how many other devices are plugged into the bus with it?  That's highly
bizarre.  No, there is no size coercion quirk.  We could add one, but we
need to decide on what an appropriate coercion is, and how to trigger
it.  Size coerecion is highly, highly hard to get right.

Scott