Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2007 16:20:26 +0100
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@incunabulum.net>
Subject:   MFC of ether_input() changes

Hi,

Does anyone want to see these changes MFCed, or otherwise object to such
an MFC?
The introduction of M_PROMISC did the following:

   * Drop frames immediately if the interface is not marked IFF_UP.
   * Always trim off the frame checksum if present.
   * Always use M_VLANTAG in preference to passing 802.1Q frames
     to consumers.
   * Use __func__ consistently for KASSERT().
   * Use the M_PROMISC flag to detect situations where ether_input()
     may reenter itself on the same call graph with the same mbuf which
     was promiscuously received on behalf of subsystems such as
     netgraph, carp, and vlan.
   * 802.1P frames (that is, VLAN frames with an ID of 0) will now be
     passed to layer 3 input paths.
   * Deal with the special case for CARP in a sane way.

For end users the main change of interest will be the ability for
FreeBSD to receive 802.1p frames, even if it doesn't do anything with
the priority fields right now.

If I hear 'yeses' I will try to MFC this as time permits.

Regards,
BMS