Date:      Sun, 03 Jun 2007 19:09:19 +0200
From:      Lukas Razik <lukas@razik.de>
To:        matthew@digitalstratum.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Promise TX2300 array not detected.

Hello Matthew!

You can read my experience with the TX4310 controller (same as TX2300
but with 4 ports and RAID5 support - TX4300 doesn't have RAID5):

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hardware/2006-May/003505.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hardware/2006-May/003506.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hardware/2006-May/003507.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hardware/2006-May/003508.html

I hope you will get it work with the 'atacontrol' command:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=atacontrol&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.2-RELEASE&format=html

The problem for me with atacontrol was that after booting Windows my
/dev/arX device always has been destroyed.

My solution was:
Buying a 3ware 8006-2LP 2-port SATA HARDWARE RAID Controller which has
better performance than the TX4310 although it's SATA and not SATA-II
and also very good Linux support.

Regards and Good Luck!
Lukas