Date:      Wed, 04 Jul 2007 16:55:33 -0700
From:      perryh@pluto.rain.com
To:        tedm@toybox.placo.com
Cc:        freebsd.org!freebsd-questions@agora.rdrop.com
Subject:   Re: The worst error message in history belongs to... BIND9!

> > If one is going to require the installation of something that may
> > not be part of a base system, that something might as well be bash :)
>
> Except that bash requires all the icky GNU utilities to build so you
> have to GNUify your system.

And perl doesn't?  It was GPL last I knew.

> The second you put in gmake, gmake requires
> iconv, readline and all the other nasty libraries, and from that point
> on if you build something you never know if it's going to link in to
> one of those libraries.
> This can cause major problems for commercial users.

How?  Last I heard, the *L*GPL only requires making the *library*
source available (and that only if the library has been modified).
It doesn't extend to the using application.

> I'd love for someone to modify the gmake port to have a variable
> you can set that would build all the GNUified dependency libraries,
> build and install gmake and statically link in all it's GNUified
> libraries, then remove all the GNUified libraries.

Or, change all the gnu ports to install into something like
/usr/local/gnu or /usr/local/gpl instead of straight into
/usr/local.  You'd still have the gnu libs when needed, but
without having them included in "normal" search paths.