Date:      Thu, 02 Aug 2007 11:57:36 -0400
From:      Sten Daniel Soersdal <netslists@gmail.com>
To:        Christopher Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TMPFS, is it available on FreeBSD 6 or 7?

Christopher Hilton wrote:
> Sten Daniel Soersdal wrote:
>> Is TMPFS available on FreeBSD 6 or 7?
>> Or do i have to settle for mfs?
>>
>> [venting frustration]
>> The reason i ask is i need something very flexible when it comes to
>> memory usage as a poor-mans shared-memory feature for a closed source
>> data conversion app, used only occasionally but with *alot* of data
>> passing through. By alot i mean it took our quad core xeon 3 ghz with
>> 4 gbyte memory and 4 SAS drives in 1+0 RAID, about a day and a half to
>> process (on disk).
>> Simple tests (by others) using netbsd on a single cpu 3 ghz and tmpfs,
>> it took roughly 70 minutes. Most of which was spent loading and
>> unloading the data over the network.
>> I'd really like that memory back after use for other things as this
>> server is also serving databases with files etc.
>>

> I love FreeBSD enough to have run my personal webserver on
> FreeBSD-Sparc64 but I don't understand here. If NetBSD does the work in
> 70 minutes why not do it on NetBSD?
>
> -- Chris

Curiosity got the best of you, huh? :)

I believe the environment could go without the damage this additional
computer would do, in electricity alone, not to mention all the heavy
metals in the computer.

I believe it wouldn't be progress to make the 4x core machine to run an
operating system that, i believe, can't efficiently utilize the hardware
( ( heavy metals + electricity ) / utilization ).

--
Sten Daniel Soersdal