Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 2008 18:27:38 +0300
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jochen Keil <Jochen.Keil@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alc889a/alc885 with hda.7.20080913.patch

Jochen Keil wrote:
> sorry to bother again.
> I got my hands on a Gigabyte EX38-DS4 board which features an ALC889A
> chip which is (as far as i found out) a cut-down version of the ALC889
> made for Gigabyte.
>
> Stereo PCM output via SPDIF-out works flawless once hw.snd.default_unit
> is set to 2. Unfortunately AC3 doesn't work even after setting
> dev.pcm.2.play.vchans to 0.
>
> Moreover hdac reports pcm2 to be AC3 capable.

Did you hear anything while playing it? Any noise? Did you player prints
anything? Did player progress bar is moving? How do you run your player
and what is it? Did your receiver detects some data stream and which
type (PCM/data)?

Also try to make sure that Soft PCM vol will not touch binary data
stream - try to set both pcm and vol controls in mixer2 to 100.

> Tried to play a bit with the boot hints but i'm not quite shure what i
> should to put here (cad, seq and as is a bit unclear to me, assuming
> that nid 30 is my SPDIF-out).
>
> Attached you'll find lot's of debugging info, hope this helps :)
> The files were made after booting with
> hint.hdac.0.config="gpio2" and
> hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid6.config="device=SPDIF-out"
> Made no difference though (at least for AC3 output..).

I think they won't. GPIO usually controls analogs parts, while
device=SPDIF-out I think is already set in your case.

--
Alexander Motin