Date:      Mon, 06 Oct 2008 16:25:22 +0200
From:      Bartosz Stec <admin@kkip.pl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   reloading samba config made system unresponsible

My tries to tune smb.conf to achieve better performance expose very
strange bug:
Just executing:

    /usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba reload

made my system unresponsible from network. It happens three times until
now so I'm sure that is the cause (but it happened after some succesful
reloads a couple of minutes earlier, so it's not happening all the time
command is executed).
Symptoms:

    - machine only responding to ping requests
    - ssh session shows, that config reload was succesful, and that's
    last thing showed (no shell after message)
    - can't connect with another ssh session, but no refuse nor timeout
    - on local console system seems responsible (alt +[1-9] works), but
    any try to login cause it to wait forever for password prompt
    - no kernel or error message on screen, and nothing suspicious in logs
    - alt+ctrl+del does nothing
    - pressing power button and waiting for system to shutdown does nothing
    - hard reset was the only way
    - after first restart I've made full fsck and started rebuilding
    gmirror - when machine hangs second time rebuilding doesn't stop

I'm not a developer but it looks like some kind of deadlock? Note that
changes I made to smb.conf was only in socket options.

--
Bartosz Stec