Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 2009 13:43:01 -0800
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   UTF as Filename Extension

Here is a simple discussion that is probably more complex than I'd like
it to be.   Is there any way to enforce a UTF-8 encoding of a file,
perhaps by filename extension?  Could such an encoding solve cross
platform line break incompatibility?

A wiki article states that such capability exists, but the tools aren't
there yet.  I suppose the easiest question to answer is, should users
like me worry about it much?

I use unformatted text more and more for documents, saving the
formatting step for late in the writing process.  I like my text to be
variable width and to reflow along paragraph demarcations.  New line
compatibility issues are annoying.  Fixing them is not what I want to
spend time doing.

Regards,
Jason