Date:      Wed, 01 Apr 2009 20:04:47 -0400
From:      William Gordon Rutherdale <will.rutherdale@utoronto.ca>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why??  (prog question)

KAYVEN RIESE wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Apr 2009, Oliver Fromme wrote:
>
>> Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:
>> > William Gordon Rutherdale wrote:
>
>> In all of those cases, I simply press the <Tab> key to
>> indent, and the <Backspace> key to dedent.  There is no
>> need to change habits.  The editor takes care of it.
>> I assume that every modern editor can be configured that
>> way.
>
> Since this is in chat, I guess I feel okay about making a fool
> of myself.  Not everybody wants to deal with every week's new
> set of script kiddle gobbleygook.  I hold a BSCS from the
> "late cretaceous" of 1989.  After that I started studying
> molecular biology under the mistaken assumption that the
> blythering human race would stop idiotically barrelling into
> oblivion chopping off the icecaps at breakneck speed.  Currently,
> having idioticaly tried to get back into computer science, I am
> enrolled in an MSCS at San Francisco State University.  I keep
> crashing my kernels and keep getting insulted and rejected by
> the "online open source community" so I guess take what I have
> to say with a grain of salt.
>
> I learned the vi editor in 1985 and I am comfortable living on
> command lines without this "modern editor" nonsense.  I have to
> say contemplating getting fired because some tyrant is going
> to bite my head off for failing to look at page 1234 of the documentation
> that clearly states that I MUST use a "modern editor" that will
> automate tabbing of my code makes me want to blow my head off
> right now and save the damn world the trouble.
>

>> Best regards
>>   Oliver
>>
>> PS:  Personally I think that the tab character (ASCII 9)
>> should die.  It is a vestige of the IT middle ages, it has
>> no right to exist anymore today, and it only causes problems.
>> The very existence of this thread proves this point.
>
> I am now very confused. I thought I was arguing with this person,
> and now it appears we agree.  Next, I'll be arguing with myself.

YOU are confused?  I read your email and see that you quoted me as
saying what someone else wrote.  You quote ME as saying that stuff about
"<backspace> to dedent".  In fact I did not write that.  The other guy
wrote that.  I don't think I've ever written the word "dedent" in my
life, at least until this paragraph.  In fact, I'm not convinced that it
IS a word.

Regarding your other rant, I am (slightly) older than the president of
the United States, with an old-style university background in
Mathematics and Computer Science, and I don't see why you're so bothered
over a "modern" editor with capabilities approaching that of editors
that were available in the 1970s, such as Wordstar.

What exactly is your problem with configuring your editor, to the point
that you have to blow your head off?

-Will