Date:      Sat, 06 Jun 2009 16:03:49 -0400
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org>
To:        freebsd-python@freebsd.org
Subject:   aboout setting up a new python

I wanted to build python26, being that my current python is python25, and I want
(suddenly) to develop on this machine for Pyglet (OpenGL for Python) and
pyglet's port installed using py26 ... beyond that, I think I like the 2.6
version of python (I don't like the 3.0 version, and would REALLY NOT want to
install that here).

So, I know there's a set of links to make, to get the 2.6 version to work.  I'd
guessed that maybe thing thing named "python-config" would do that for me, but
there's no man page, and the response from --help is merely the usage().  I
haven't any idea how to use it, not one line.  I can't find anything in
/usr/local/share, either (but I might not be looking in the right place anyhow).
 Tried in the doc subdir too.

Could I get a hint how to get my python2.6 up?  BTW, I tried to see if maybe
just installing the python26 port might activate 2.6 for me, but when I run
"python" the prompt tells me that version 2.5.4 is still in control.

Thanks.