Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 2009 13:36:29 -0400
From:      Brent Bloxam <brentb@beanfield.com>
To:        Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass9573@gmx.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & FIBs (setfib) - How to modify?

Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:
> Brent Bloxam wrote:
>> The documentation on FIBs is pretty slim unless I've been looking in the
>> wrong places, all I've seen are a few mentions in errata and release
>> notes. setfib(1) doesn't offer much in the way of associated commands,
>> and definitely doesn't explain how to actually work with a FIB. I'm
>> curious if there's a command to specifically modify a FIB beyond 0,
>> besides something like
>>
>> setfib 1 route add ...
>
> setfib selects the routing table for locally originated
> outgoing packets. Besides locally originated packets, there
> are packets arriving from the network and need to be forwarded.
> These packets can be classified in a specific routing table
> with the aid of ipfw. That's all there is. I can't think
> of something else that needs to be thought with regard to
> multiple routing tables.
>
> HTH, Nikos

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear. What I'm interested in is if there's a
way to deal with *modifying* those other routing tables, besides using
setfib as I described (e.g., you want to have a different default
gateway). There would be no reason to have multiple routing tables if
they're carbon copies of one another.