Date:      Sat, 05 Dec 2009 09:58:05 -0600
From:      "James R. Van Artsdalen" <james-freebsd-fs2@jrv.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS and reordering drives

Baldur Gislason wrote:
> When I plugged them back in they didn't go in the right order
> and now both of my pools are broken.
zpool.cache is broken.  Rename /boot/zfs/zpool.cache so that ZFS won't
load it, then import the pools manually.  (a reboot might be needed
before the import; not sure).

The problem is that ZFS is recording the boot-time assigned name
(/dev/ad0) in the cache.  I'm hoping to get GEOM to put the disk serial
number in /dev, i.e., /dev/serialnum/5LZ958QL.  If you created the pool
using serial numbers then the cache would always work right.