Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:36:57 +0100
From:      Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Cc:        multimedia-list freebsd <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   DVB-T with Cuse4BSD: bad signal quality

After I tried video4bsd last weekend for the first time and was able to
make my webcam work, but not my DVB-T device. This weekend, I found
Cuse4BSD on your homepage replacing video4bsd.

Now my DVB-T stick basically work. Thanks a lot for all your effort!

I wanted to complain about the firmware path being /, but since you
added the '-f' switch that comes down to the rather unimportant default
being / and not -- for example -- /boot/modules/. Having to call webcamd
twice, once to load the firmware and once to actually do its job is a
little counter intuitive.

My major problem at the moment is the quality of the signal. That has
always been dependent on the location of the antenna in my apartment,
but I just tried Raaf's dvbusb driver under FreeBSD 7 without having any
distortions and immediately booted back into FreeBSD 8: The distortions
are so high that it is unwatchable and after a few seconds audio and
video are out of sync using Raaf's typhony (Kaffeine seems a little
better at keeping the streams at sync even with a bad signal).

I already checked the system load on my atom based system: 15% user, 10%
system, 70% idle (8% python, 8% mplayer, 4% webcamd) or 15% user, 20%
system, 60% idle (20% kaffeine, 7% webcamd, 5% Xorg) -- that does not
seem problematic. (I thought with the driver now partially in user space
there might be higher load than before due to context switching.)

I am currently on FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE with the libusb patch you
advertised last week on your homepage. I would not like to bring my atom
based system to 8-STABLE or 9-CURRENT. Would that help?

Any idea or fix for my distortions?

Cheers,
Jan Henrik