Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:00:37 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
Subject:   Re: /etc in CVS

On 4/20/2010 11:30 AM, Bakul Shah wrote:

> My suggestion was in the context of upgrding a system to a
> new release. There are changes to /**/etc/**/*(.) files going
> from release R to R+1.  I was pointing out that what
> mergemaster does (merging in these changes to your locally
> modified etc files) is almost exactly the same as merging in
> a vendor branch under CVS (vendor here would be freebsd.org).
> But merge conflicts have to be resolved carefully and before
> any reboots!

That's not accurate. By default mergemaster does nothing, it will not
change your installed /etc at all. At this point the -U option will
handle major release upgrades quite painlessly, leaving only those files
that actually have local mods for the user to deal with manually.

Of course, I have always said that if anyone feels compelled to create a
better solution for etc merging that they should feel free, and I still
mean that. :)

Doug

			-- Propellerheads