Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 2010 10:19:57 -0500
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
Cc:        yongari@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New powerpc64 snapshot

On 11/22/10 14:34, Paul Mather wrote:
> On Nov 18, 2010, at 9:50 AM, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
>
>> I've prepared some new powerpc64 snapshot ISOs which can be found
>> at
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/FreeBSD-9.0-20101118-SNAP-powerpc64/
>>

> I was able successfully to install this snapshot today on an Xserve
> G5.  I had several problems, though:
>
> 1) I could not boot from the bootloader script after the install was
> complete; I had forcibly to "setenv boot-device hd:,\ppc\boot1.elf"
> for the system to boot into FreeBSD from power-on.  (I did remember
> the "gpart bootcode ..." step, too.)

I'm guessing you are booting on a serial console? I don't have the Forth
skills to make the bootinfo script detect where the 'screen' device
exists, so it defaults to that.

> 2) Usually, the system will not boot multi-user as it is unable to
> mount the root partition after booting the kernel.  Dropping into the
> debugger and issuing a "reboot" to do a warm boot will allow the
> system then to boot multi-user successfully.

Could you do a verbose boot (boot -v at the boot prompt) and send the
resulting dmesg? There is some issue with the built-in serverworks SATA
controller and some hard drives that no one has been able to track down
yet. It doesn't affect anything once the machine has booted.

> 3) The system is LOUD!  It sounds like the fans are running high
> pretty much all the time---running much higher than Mac OS X 10.5
> runs them.  I notice a "fcu" fan-related device during boot.  Is
> there any way to force the fans to run at a lower speed?  I'm going
> to go deaf at this rate. :-)

Andreas Tobler has some in-flight thermal monitoring code he posted to
the list a while ago, and one thermal monitor chip is still not in the
tree. Even without the patches, you can turn down the fans by hand with
sysctls on dev.fcu.

> 4) After a while, my system fell of the network with "bge0: watchdog
> timeout -- resetting" being output on the console periodically.

Odd. I've CC'ed Pyun Yong Hyeon, who maintains the bge driver. Maybe he
has some ideas.

> 5) A minor thing, but the "locate" command doesn't work properly.
> Either it doesn't find something I know is there, or it finds
> something but prints out incorrect gibberish as a result (e.g., just
> printing out lines of "/" in response to a "locate etc").

I just fixed this in svn. You'll need to update your sources to get the
fixed version.

> I realise the FreeBSD/powerpc64 port is experimental at this point.
> Can anyone tell me if the above symptoms afflict the 32-bit
> FreeBSD/powerpc 8-STABLE port?  Although I like the idea of the
> powerpc64 port allowing me to use all of the 3.5 GB RAM in this
> machine, at this point it is more important for me to trade away the
> extra RAM for stability (and *quietness*:).  If FreeBSD/powerpc
> 8-STABLE is more solid, I'd rather switch to that, as I'd like to get
> this machine back into service.
>
> (I would be more prepared to soldier on with FreeBSD/powerpc64 if I
> could get the fan noise problem under control.  That would let me do
> more testing without going crazy from the noise.:)

All of the problems you mentioned above are also present with a 32-bit
system.
-Nathan